Shalom. Peace. Something we could all use a little bit more. But in Hebrew, “shalom” encompasses more than what we think of as peace. Wellness, security, and wholeness are all part of shalom. And that’s what we’ll be pursuing through this autumn, winter, and spring together as a congregation. You can listen to Pastor Johanna and Lisa discuss the theme of Shalom for the year in the “Shalom” episode of 1stCast by clicking here. Clicking this link will take you to our podcast page.
Northwestern University has identified eight different dimensions of wellness, and you can learn more about them here. Clicking this link will take you to Northwestern University’s webpage about wellness.
These eight dimensions are:
- and financial.
Together over the course of the next year we will examine one of these dimensions each month through the spiritual lens of shalom, beginning in September with physical health, the Shalom of the Body.
Through integrated sermon series, daily prayer themes, podcast episodes, community events, and more we will explore what shalom means for us in each of these aspects of our lives and seek God’s peace and wholeness for ourselves, our community, and our world.
Shalom of the Body begins in September with Pastor Johanna’s new sermon series Pilgrim’s Progress: The Christian Journey, and our Walk the Exodus project. Walk the Exodus is a 30-day activity goal to collectively cover the 375 miles from Egypt to the Promised Land. As of Friday, September 4 our congregation has covered 42 miles!
Walk the Exodus includes:
- activities such as walking, biking, running, gardening, and reading or watching films about journeys.
- a worksheet to help track the time you spend doing Walk the Exodus activities which you can download and print at home. The worksheet is available here. Clicking this link will take you to a PDF document on our website.
- a list of book and film recommendations. You can find the list here. Clicking this link will take you to a PDF document on our website.
- a list of inspirational quotes to keep us going. The list for week 1 is available here. Clicking this link will take you to a PDF document on our website. The list for week 2 is available here. Clicking this link will take you to a PDF document on our website.
You can learn all about how to participate in Walk the Exodus in this blog post on our website. Clicking this link will take you to another page on our website with more information about Walk the Exodus.
While we explore the Shalom of the Body in September, we are preparing more dimensions of wellness through the coming year.
Our scheduled themes are:
- Social Shalom in October
- Shalom of the City in November
- Advent in December
- Emotional Shalom in January
- Vocational Shalom in February
- Spiritual Shalom for Lent in March
- Financial Shalom in April
- Environmental Shalom in May
- Intellectual Shalom in June
As our plans develop, we will update this page with all the information about what to expect and how to participate.